ISLAMABAD: Arrest warrants of former prime minister and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan have been issued for his remarks against the Additional District and Sessions Judge Zeba Chaudhry in a public rally in Islamabad.
The arrest warrants dated September 30 were issued by Senior Civil Judge Rana Mujahid Rahim.
The arrest warrants dated September 30 came to light hours after Imran submitted to the Islamabad High Court an affidavit in a contempt case against him, saying he had realised he “might have crossed a line” in his criticism of Chaudhry and was willing to apologise to her “if she got an impression” that he had crossed a line.
The PTI chairman was booked for threatening a judge and two top police officials in a public meeting held at the F-9 Park.
Meanwhile, Pakistan s media regulatory authority has banned the broadcasting of live speeches of PTI chief Imran Khan for threatening an Islamabad police official and a female magistrate during an address in Islamabad.
The Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) said that Imran’s recorded speech would only be permitted to be aired after an effective delay mechanism to ensure effective monitoring and editorial control.
The court had sought the affidavit during a hearing on September 22, when Imran had offered to tender an apology to Chaudhry, who had earlier caught flak from the PTI supremo after approving his close aide Shahbaz Gill’s physical remand in a sedition case. Imran’s offer to apologise had seen him escape the indictment.
At the August 20 rally, Imran had warned the judge of dire consequence, as well as the judiciary for what he had called its “biased” attitude towards his party.
In his affidavit submitted to court today, Imran said he had “realised during these (contempt) proceedings before the honourable court that he might have crossed a red line while making [a] public speech on August 20, 2022”. However, he added, he never intended to threaten Judge Chaudhry and “there was no intention behind the statement to take any action other than legal action”.
He said he wanted to assure the IHC that he was willing to explain and clarify before Judge Chaudhry that“ neither he nor his party seeks/sought any action“ against her and he was willing apologise to her “if she got an impression that the deponent (Imran) had crossed a line”.
The PTI chief assured the court that in future he would not do anything that would hurt the dignity of any court and the judiciary, especially the lower judiciary.
He also expressed his willingness to take any further steps that the IHC “deems necessary and appropriate for the satisfaction of the honourable court that he never intended to interfere in the process of the court or impugn the dignity or independence of the judiciary”.
Imran assured the court that he would always stand by his statement in the affidavit in letter and spirit.
Read more: Contempt Case: Imran Khan avoids unconditional apology even in third response







