QUETTA: The provincial caretaker government of Balochistan has decided that the internet services will remain temporarily restricted in and around the sensitive polling booths in the province on election day.
This announcement was made by Caretaker Balochistan Information Minister Jan Achakzai on Sunday night.
As Balochistan remains the target of militants ahead of the February 8 polls, the caretaker government took the decision to limit internet services suspended in the light of possible terrorist activities during polling.
Taking to X, the minister said that there was a risk that the terrorists might use the social media platforms as a means of communication for their nefarious plans.
“Ensuring the safety and security of ordinary citizens is of utmost importance, as there is a concern that terrorists may exploit social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and other similar channels for communication purposes,” he wrote in an X post.
He said that internet access will be restricted in the lead-up to the elections in regions including Turbat, Mach, and Chaman, the areas latest to witness a terrorist attack in the province.
The decision comes amid a perilous situation in Balochistan in the wake of a recent spike in terrorist attacks, especially on political parties and their election rallies ahead of elections.
However, independent candidates with scant resources who rely on social media to spread their message have also been hit hard due to intermittent network outages.
With less than a week left in the February 8 polls, security across the country has been heightened with the deployment of law enforcers to ensure the law and order situation for the national-level polls.
The election preparations and campaigns go on in full swing but the country reels from consecutive incidents of violence that resulted in multiple deaths, especially at political parties’ rallies in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, raising concerns regarding the security situation.
Earlier this week, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sikandar Sultan Raja ruled out any possibility of communications and internet service outages on the polling day. He also assured the peaceful conduct of elections.
Meanwhile, Sindh caretaker Information Minister Ahmed Shah said that there has been no decision on suspending the internet and communication services in the province on February 8.
Read more: Nawaz promises orange line train, employment opportunities for Faisalabad







