TEHRAN: Iran has announced that it is taking steps to resume its nuclear programme after U.S. and Israeli airstrikes targeted several of its key uranium enrichment facilities earlier this week.
“We have taken the necessary measures and are assessing the damage,” said Mohammad Eslami, head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, in a statement broadcast on state television Tuesday.
“Plans for restarting the facilities were prepared in advance, and our strategy is to ensure that production and services are not disrupted,” he added.
The U.S. strikes on Fordow, Isfahan, and Natanz were carried out on Sunday in what President Donald Trump described as a “spectacular military success.” The full extent of the damage to the sites remains unclear.
On Monday, Israel announced another strike on the Fordow facility, claiming it was aimed at “obstructing access routes” to the heavily fortified site buried beneath a mountain south of Tehran.
Despite the attacks, Iranian officials insist the nuclear programme remains intact. An adviser to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that Iran still holds enriched uranium stockpiles and warned, “the game is not over.”
Phased Ceasefire Announced Amid Ongoing Strikes
In a surprise diplomatic development, U.S. President Donald Trump declared on Tuesday that a ceasefire between Iran and Israel was now in effect, calling on both sides to respect the truce on what is now the 12th day of the conflict.
Trump said the agreement involves a phased 24-hour process, beginning at 0400 GMT Tuesday, with Iran halting all operations first. Israel is expected to reciprocate 12 hours later.
Speaking on the ceasefire, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi confirmed that Tehran had already halted its operations by 4 a.m. Tehran time (0030 GMT) and expressed hope that Israel would follow suit.
“We do not intend to continue strikes if Israel stops its attacks,” Araghchi said.
Despite Trump’s announcement, neither Iran nor Israel have officially confirmed the agreement. Meanwhile, tensions remain high on the ground.
Iranian state media reported a wave of missile launches targeting Israel. Israeli emergency services later confirmed that four civilians were killed in an Iranian strike—indicating that violence continued even as diplomatic statements were being made.
The ongoing war has reportedly killed hundreds in Iran and at least two dozen people in Israel, with international concern mounting over the possibility of further escalation.







