GAZA: Israel and Hamas are fighting again. Hamas launched a surprise attack on Israel, and Israel responded with airstrikes. At least 198 Palestinians and 250 Israelis have been killed, and more than 1100 have been injured.
The fighting comes after weeks of tension in the region.
Jewish settlers have been making provocative tours of the Al-Aqsa Mosque complex in occupied East Jerusalem and there has been an increase in Israeli settler violence against Palestinians.
The armed branch of the Palestinian resistance organization Hamas – known as the Al-Qassam Brigades – stated on Saturday that they are continuing with their planned “Operation Al-Aqsa Flood” to hold Israel responsible for its acts of aggression.
Hamas says it is fighting to protect Al-Aqsa Mosque and to stop the settler violence.
Israel says Hamas started the conflict and that it will continue attacking until Hamas is “degraded”.
The United States, the United Nations (UN) and other countries are calling for a ceasefire.
Medical sources in Gaza say at least 198 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli air attacks launched after a Hamas offensive against Israel that killed at least 100.
908 wounded have been taken to Israeli hospitals, according to the Israeli health ministry.
Hamas has taken hostages and prisoners of war, according to the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) spokesperson, Brigadier General Daniel Hagari.
There are deaths among IDF soldiers, but the exact number is unknown, according to Hagari.
Hamas says it fired thousands of rockets and captured “a big number” of Israelis after its fighters crossed into Israel from the Gaza Strip.
The operation comes after thousands of settlers in recent days carried out provocative tours of the Al-Aqsa Mosque complex in occupied East Jerusalem during the Jewish holiday of Sukkot.
Netanyahu has spoken with Biden, saying the US president “emphasized that the US stands alongside Israel and fully supports Israel’s right to self-defence”.
The Biden has regularly touted the US and Israel’s “ironclad” relationship. The US provides $3.8bn in unconditional military aid annually.
How Israeli intelligence agencies missed the surprise attacks by Hamas is likely to be investigated after the fighting ends, former Israeli justice minister Yossi Beilin told Al Jazeera.
The Israeli government has said at least 100 Israelis have been killed in the attack, but local media are reporting that the number has now risen to at least 100.
For average residents in Gaza, there is widespread shock and fear.
In a statement, Saleh al-Arouri, deputy head of Hamas’ political bureau: “The Palestinian resistance and the Al-Qassam Brigades will not remain silent in the face of the desecration of our sacred sites. We will not accept the continuation of the siege on Gaza or the ongoing detention of our prisoners in Israeli prisons.”
Saleh al-Arouri says Hamas has enough Israeli captives to make Israel free all Palestinian prisoners in its jails.
The Hamas deputy chief said the group is engaged in a battle for freedom.
Al-Arouri said that Palestinians have a right to freedom, to fight the Israeli occupation and to safeguard their holy sites.
The Hamas deputy chief said the group is ready for “the worst-case scenario”.
Al-Arouri also said that Israel had been planning to launch an attack on the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman called the attack a “proud operation” and said that it marked a new page in the field of resistance and armed operations against the occupiers.
Iranian lawmakers also chanted “Down with Israel” and “Welcome Palestine” in a parliamentary session on Saturday.
The people of Iran also took to the streets to celebrate attack on Israel.
Read more: Pakistan voices concerns over Isral-Palestine clashes, call for peaceful negotiations







