New Zealand confirms two new cases of coronavirus

WELLINGTON: New Zealand on Tuesday have confirmed two new cases of the coronavirus, both related to recent travel from the UK, ending a 24-day streak of no new infections in the country.

New Zealand lifted all social and economic restrictions except border controls last week, after declaring it had no new or active cases of the coronavirus, one of the first countries in the world to return to pre-pandemic normality.

Advertisment

The health ministry said the new cases were related to the border as a result of recent travel from the UK. Both cases are connected, it said in a statement.

Meanwhile, Global cases of the novel coronavirus reached over 8 million on Monday, as infections surge in Latin America, reports said.

About 25 per cent of those cases, or 2 million infections, are in the United States, though the fastest-growing outbreak is in Latin America which now accounts for 21 per cent of all cases.

Read more: New Zealand clears its last COVID-19 case

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments