LAHORE: Three policemen were killed and multiple injured in a clash with supporters of the banned Tehreek-e-Labbaik Pakistan (TLP) in Lahore Friday evening, said a statement released by Punjab police on violent protests erupted in provincial capital.
The statement revealed that the police officers were stationed near the Katcheri Chowk. They were hit by a TLP vehicle.
The spokesperson of the Punjab police said that two of the martyrs have been identified as constables Muhammad Ayub and Khalid Javed. “Six policemen were injured in the clashes as well,” the spokesperson added.
An additional contingent of police officers has been deployed at the protest site. The police are trying to disperse the crowd.
Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar, condemning the attack, has offered condolences to the grieving families. He has instructed the police to identify the culprits and immediately take action against them. “Rule of law must be ensured at all costs.”
The chief minister has also promised the best health care for injured policemen.
Meanwhile, a TLP media coordinator said that authorities fired tear gas at protesters near a police checkpoint.
TLP spokesperson said that workers had to endure the “worst shelling in history” and were “attacked from all sides” near the Mao College Pul. He added that 500 workers were seriously injured, while 15 were in serious condition.
In a statement, the banned TLP has announced no further dialogues with the government. “Now, only the TLP chief [Saad Rizvi] will lead the negotiations,” the statement said.
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA)has blocked the internet services “within a radius of 5kms” from the protest sites. Data Sahib, Shahdara, New and Old Ravi area to face the blockage.
Services to remain suspended until further notice, the notification read.
The banned TLP has started marching on Islamabad Friday afternoon to force the government to release the founder’s heir, Saad Rizvi.
The TLP had been staging a sit-in on Multan Road, Lahore for the last two days.
The party’s central council been demanding the government release Saad Hussain Rizvi, the chief of the defunct TLP. He was arrested earlier in the year for inciting violence.
A large number of party members took part in the sit-in. The party council members say that they have been protesting peacefully for 15 days but have not received much reaction. The government has repeatedly turned its back on the agreement, they said.
The TLP had given the government till Thursday evening to release Saad Rizvi or they said they would make an announcement of a plan of action.
A stage was set in front of the TLP headquarters at Multan Road in Lahore where 200 to 250 members turned up. An additional 400 to 500 members are said to be inside and around the centre. A heavy contingent of police is outside the TLP center. There’s, however, no restriction of movement, and workers can easily enter and leave the headquarter. Mobile and internet services are blocked in the area.
Earlier, the party had announced that the march will start after Friday prayers. The party was hopeful negotiations with the Punjab government will be successful. The central committee members were supposed to meet the government representatives before Friday prayers.
A TLP spokesperson told media that the party has a “Plan B” if the government tries to stop them from entering Islamabad. “It will be revealed when the time comes,” he said on the condition of anonymity.
Multan Road has been closed from all sides near the stage, including Fawara Chowk, Shah Noor Scheme cut, Utility Store Scheme cut, Shah Farid.
All routes from Yateem Khana Chowk have been closed by containers.
Roads from Kali Kothi, Iqbal Town, Scheme Moor, Sodiwal, Niazi Ada, and Samanabad have been sealed with barbed wire and containers.
TLP protestors carrying sticks have set up at all the closed points and protest areas. Road from Saggian Bridge to Double Sarkaran have been blocked by placing containers. Road from Begum Court to Shahdara is also closed. Shahdara Chowk is also closed for traffic going to Gujranwala.
Meanwhile, the diversion has been given from Stadium Road Rawalpindi to Ninth Avenue signal. The traffic coming from Ninth Avenue and Faizabad to Rawalpindi will be diverted to IJP Road.
Faizul Islam stop and Murree Road are closed from both sides. The traffic coming from Islamabad to Murree Road Rawalpindi can use the Islamabad Highway route.
Jinnah Avenue is closed on both sides from Express Chowk to D Chowk. People can use Nadra Chowk and Ayub Chowk to enter and exit the red zone.
On Friday, the Rawalpindi metro bus service remain closed from Saddar to the IJP. It will work from IJP to Pak Secretariat.
Read more: Islamabad, Lahore, Rawalpindi partially shut down as govt braces for protests







