Home Tags Islamabad

Tag: islamabad

Pakistan shoots down Afghan drones over Islamabad, suspends flights amid security concerns

Pakistan shoots down Afghan drones over Islamabad, suspends flights amid security concerns

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan intercepted and shot down drones launched from Afghanistan over Islamabad, senior security officials said, as authorities temporarily suspended passenger flights at the capital’s airport as a precautionary step to ensure public safety.

As per the security officials, the drones were successfully destroyed on Friday in Islamabad.

As part of security measures, flight operations at Islamabad International Airport were temporarily suspended to ensure passenger safety, the officials said.

Earlier in the day, Pakistan’s security forces also shot down two drones in Kohat district of the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, the officials added.

Sources said Pakistan’s air defence system successfully intercepted and destroyed two Afghan drones near the Rawalpindi–Islamabad interception in the I-8 sector of the federal capital.

Authorities temporarily suspended flights at Islamabad International Airport for a short period to ensure public safety.

Pakistan’s precision strikes against terrorists

Earlier today, Pakistan said it had conducted “precision strikes” against terrorist infrastructure inside Afghanistan.

Since last month, Pakistan has launched Operation Ghazab-lil-Haq, targeting sanctuaries of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), a terrorist group responsible for attacks in Pakistan.

A Pakistani security official confirmed on Friday that the strikes were carried out last night, destroying “four key locations,” including the infrastructure of a corps headquarters and an ammunition dump in Kabul, a terrorist training camp in Kandahar, an oil storage facility in Kandahar, and a militant camp in Paktia.

“The message is clear: no let-up, no negotiations, and no delegation sent by Pakistan,” the official said.

“There is just one consistent demand from the Afghan Taliban regime: stop supporting terrorists and harbouring terrorist leadership or face the consequences.”

This is developing story and will be updated…

Also read:US issues 30-day waiver for Russian oil amid Iran conflict to stabilize energy markets

Advertisment

Police detain Aurat March activists in Islamabad Ahead of Women’s Day rally

Police detain Aurat March activists in Islamabad Ahead of Women’s Day rally

ISLAMABAD: Police detained multiple women’s rights activists, among them Aurat March members, as they prepared to hold a rally for International Women’s Day on Sunday in Islamabad.

According to the police, 14 people — including 11 women and three men — were taken into custody in Sector F-6 while participating in the march. Authorities said the group included both organisers and participants of the demonstration.

The detained included prominent activist Dr Farzana Bari, along with other Aurat March organisers and participants. Police confirmed. The police argued that the activists were arrested under Section 144 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC) imposed in the federal capital.

The gathering was an “illegal activity” and the district administration had denied a no-objection certificate (NOC) to Aurat March, the police sources added. Aurat March Islamabad also shared a video on their official Instagram account, showing Bari and other women sitting inside what appeared to be a police vehicle.

Civil society members and activists reacted to the detentions, expressing concern over the restrictions placed on the demonstration. The Aurat March is organised annually by women’s rights groups to highlight the issues like gender equality, workplace rights and protection from violence against women in Pakistan.

Also read:13 terrorsits killed in security forces’ operations across KP, says ISPR

Advertisment

435 Afghan Taliban killed in ongoing operation Ghazb lil Haq, says information minister

435 Afghan Taliban killed in ongoing operation Ghazb lil Haq, says information minister

ISLAMABAD: Information Minister of Pakistan Attaullah Tarar said Monday that 435 Afghan Taliban militants were eliminated during the continuing military operation, Ghazb lil Haq.

In a post on X, Tarar shared an update on March 2 detailing what he described as significant losses inflicted on Afghan Taliban positions inside Afghanistan.

According to the minister, Islamabad continues retaliatory action after cross-border attacks by terrorists and Afghan forces.

The minister highlighted that more than 630 terrorists have been injured since the start of the operation. He added that security forces have destroyed 188 check posts and captured 31 positions during coordinated ground and aerial engagements.

The update further stated that 188 tanks, armoured vehicles and artillery pieces have been destroyed. Additionally, 51 locations across Afghanistan were struck through precision air operations.

Operation Ghazb lil Haq was launched following an unprovoked Taliban attack from across the border. Officials said the operation remains ongoing and is focused on dismantling terrorist infrastructure posing a threat to Pakistan’s security.

Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid had earlier said in Kabul that the authorities were ready to resolve the crisis through dialogue.

“The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan want to resolve this matter through dialogue,” Mujahid said.

Pakistan described the operation as an “immediate and effective” response to terrorist attacks originating from across the border.

The latest escalation follows years of strained relations between Islamabad and Kabul.

Pakistan accuses Afghanistan’s Taliban government of supporting “anti-Pakistan terrorists” who it blames for carrying out suicide attacks in Pakistan.

This is a claim disputed by the Taliban government, which has repeatedly said the territory of Afghanistan is not being used to threaten the security of other countries.

Also read:PM Shehbaz highlights urgent need for de-escalation and dialogue

Advertisment

Geo News live transmission hacked, subversive message displayed on screen

Geo News live transmission hacked, subversive message displayed on screen

ISLAMABAD: The live transmission of Geo News was hacked on Sunday night, during which a subversive message was broadcast on screen.

The management of Geo News said in a statement that for the past 24 hours, attempts were being made to hack the channel — which was on the communication satellite PAKSAT — and disrupt its broadcast.

The management further stated that for some time now, the channel had been facing continuous disruptions.

“Geo News’ screen was hacked to display an inappropriate message,” the statement said, adding that the situation had nothing to do with the channel.

It urged authorities to take immediate notice of the incident and bring those responsible to justice.

Also read:PM Shehbaz Sharif postpones Russia visit amid regional and domestic situation

Advertisment

PM Shehbaz Sharif postpones Russia visit amid regional and domestic situation

PM Shehbaz Sharif postpnded Russia visit

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has postponed his visit to Russia in light of the recent regional and internal situation, the APP reported.

As per the press release issued by Media Wing of the Prime Minister Office in Islamabad, the visit of Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif was highly important for the advancement of bilateral relations between the two countries. However, the visit has been postponed owing to the prevailing circumstances.

The new dates for the visit will be decided after mutual consultation.

Russian President Putin hails relations with Pakistan

In January, Russian President Vladimir Putin hailed growing relations between his country and Pakistan as “mutually beneficial” with cooperation expanding across sectors.

Additionally, the X account of the Russian Embassy in Pakistan had quoted Putin as saying on the occasion: “We are continuing close cooperation with Pakistan. Pakistan is a full member of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation, which is the region’s largest regional organisation in terms of economic, technical, and human resources. Russia-Pakistan relations are mutually beneficial in the truest sense.”

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was assassinated

Today the Iranian state media announced that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was killed at his office in the Israeli-US attacks on Iran after earlier reports of his killing by US and Israeli officials.

A 40-day mourning period for the longtime Iranian leader has been announced.

“With the martyrdom of the supreme leader, his path and mission neither will be lost nor will be forgotten; on the other hand, they will be pursued with greater vigour and zeal,” a presenter said.

According to AFP, the Iranian Revolutionary Guards have also vowed “severe punishment” for the “murderers” of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei, who was killed in US-Israel attacks.

Following the announcement, hundreds of people took to streets, including Pakistan’s Aabpara Chowk to march towards the US Embassy in Islamabad. However, the march was stopped by law enforcement agencies at Serena Chowk, who resorted to heavy shelling.

Pakistan hits Afghanistan’s Taliban military installaions

Earlier, Pakistan and Afghanistan’s Taliban overnight clashes were reported as the international community expressed increasing concern about the conflict and called for urgent talks.

According to officials, Pakistan hit Taliban military installations and posts, including in Kabul and Kandahar, in one of the deepest Pakistani incursions into its western neighbour in years.

Pakistan accuses Afghanistan’s Taliban government of supporting “anti-Pakistan terrorists” who it blames for carrying out suicide attacks in Pakistan.

This is a claim disputed by the Taliban government, which has repeatedly said the territory of Afghanistan is not being used to threaten the security of other countries.

Also read: PM expresses solidarity with armed forces over ‘operation Ghazab Lil-Haq’,

Advertisment

AJK PM expresses solidarity with armed forces over ‘operation Ghazab Lil-Haq’,

AJK PM expresses solidarity with armed forces over ‘operation Ghazab Lil-Haq’,

By APP

Azad Jammu and Kashmir’s Prime Minister Raja Faisal Mumtaz Rathore has expressed his full solidarity with the armed forces regarding “Operation Ghazab Lil-Haq.”

While addressing a news conference in Islamabad today, the security of entire Pakistan including Azad Jammu and Kashmir is interconnected. He praised the Pakistan Army’s vision, planning, prowess, and courage in the operation.

The AJK Prime Minister also condemned India for committing massive human rights violations in Indian Illegally Occupied Jammu and Kashmir saying that Kashmiris will eventually achieve their right to self-determination.

The PM mentioned that the Kashmir issue gained global attention as a flashpoint following Marka-e-Haq.

He said Azad Jammu and Kashmir is a base camp of Kashmir freedom movement and we will keep this freedom movement alive.

Regarding domestic governance, the AJK Prime Minister highlighted the steps taken to improve administration and make the bureaucracy more accessible to the public.

He noted that the Azad Jammu and Kashmir government has established a dedicated portal and special courts to address the issues and problems being faced by overseas Kashmiris.

Also read:Where are the key US military bases in the Middle East?

Advertisment

Pakistan says it targeted seven militant sites near Afghan border

Pakistan has targeted seven “terrorist camps and hideouts belonging to Pakistani Taliban of [Fitna al Khwarij] and its affiliates and [the Islamic State-Khorasan Province] at the border region of Pakistan Afghan border,” the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.

According to the statement published on X, the action was taken, “in the aftermath of recent suicide bombing incidents in Pakistan, including Imam Bargah at Islamabad, one each in Bajaur and Bannu, followed by another incident today in Bannu during the holy month of Ramazan,”

The Fitnat al Khawarij is a term the state uses for terrorists belonging to the banned Tehreek-I-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

The statement said that Pakistan has conclusive evidence that these acts of terrorism were perpetrated by Khwarij on behest of their Afghanistan-based leadership and handlers. Responsibilities for these attacks were also claimed by Afghanistan-based Pakistani Taliban belonging to Fitna al Khwarij (FAK) and their affiliates, and Islamic State of Khorasan Province (ISKP).

The statement asserted that “Pakistan has always strived for maintaining peace and stability in the region, but at the same time, the safety and security of our citizens remains our top priority”, adding that the action against the seven camps and hideouts was “a retributive response”, carried out based on “intelligence-based selective targeting”.

“Pakistan expects and reiterates [that the] Interim Afghan Government […] fulfil its obligations and deny use of its soil by Khwarij and terrorists against Pakistan as the safety and security of people of Pakistan comes first and foremost. Pakistan also expects the international community to play a positive and constructive role by urging the Taliban regime to stand by its commitments as part of [the] Doha Agreement to deny use of its soil against other countries; an act vital for regional and global peace and security,” the statement added.

the statement noted that despite repeated efforts by Pakistan to urge the Afghan Taliban Regime to take verifiable measures to deny use of Afghan territory by terrorist groups and foreign proxies to carry out terrorist activities in Pakistan, the Afghan Taliban Regime failed to undertake any substantive action against them.

Pakistan has seen a surge in violence in recent years, much of it blamed on the TTP and outlawed Baloch separatist groups. Pakistan accuses the TTP of operating from inside Afghanistan, a charge the group denies. However, The Taliban government has also consistently denied sheltering anti-Pakistan armed groups.

Ties between the neighbouring countries have remained tense since October, when deadly border clashes killed dozens of soldiers, civilians and suspected fighters.

The violence followed explosions in Kabul, which Afghan officials blamed on Pakistan.

A ceasefire mediated by Qatar on October 19 has largely held, but subsequent talks in Turkiye’s Istanbul failed to produce a formal agreement.

Also read: Weather disrupts key Pakistan vs New Zealand T20 clash

 

Advertisment

51 held in large-scale operation targeting illegal residents

51 held in large-scale operation targeting illegal residents

ISLAMABAD: A large-scale crackdown conducted on Thursday across Islamabad and several other cities targeting illegally residing Afghan nationals, with over 2,000 personnel deployed to take part in the crackdown.

The Counter Terrorism Department (CTD), intelligence agencies, Police and Pakistan Rangers carried out joint search-and-comb operations in Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Attock, Jhelum and Chakwal, while security around mosques was also tightened.

In Islamabad’s Tarnol, Ittihad Colony, and surrounding areas, the operation involved 150 police officers, including 12 Lady Police, alongside CTD personnel, 15 Rangers, and intelligence staff.

Totally, 51 people were arrested, including 16 Afghan nationals.

Authorities stated 165 houses were searched, 26 vehicles and 48 motorcycles were checked, and 570 individuals were screened.

In Rawalpindi’s Dhok Kashmirian and adjoining areas within Sadiqabad Police Station limits, 50 houses, 15 vehicles, 10 motorcycles, and 120 individuals were checked.

11 individuals found without rental agreements were released after registration instructions and formal warnings.

In Chakwal, officials searched 47 houses and shops, checked documents of 98 individuals, and involved Lady Police officers in the operation.

Also read:PM Shehbaz invites US DFC to boost investment in key sectors

 

Advertisment

Rs5m compensation cheques distributed among families of Imambargah attack martyrs

ISLAMABAD: The compensation cheques have been handed over to the families of those martyred in the terrorist attack on Khadija-tul-Kubra Imambargah of Islamabad.

According to the announcement, each martyr’s family has received a cheque of Rs5 million.

The cheques have been handed over to the families of 36 martyrs belonging to Islamabad, according to a PM Office statement.

However, the cheques are being delivered to the heirs of the remaining four martyrs hailing from Taunsa Sharif, Talagang, Astore, and Skardu.

After the February 6 attack, the prime minister had announced financial assistance of Rs5 million for each martyr’s family during his visit to the Tarlai Imambargah on February 11.

Also read:HEC makes AI course mandatory for all degree programmes from 2026

Advertisment