UAE reports drone strike at nuclear power plant as Iran war deadlock endures

UAE reports drone strike at nuclear power plant as Iran war deadlock endures

By Reuters

DUBAI: A drone strike caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in the United Arab Emirates, officials in Abu Dhabi said on ‌Sunday, at a time when progress appears to have stalled in efforts to end the U.S.-Israeli war with Iran and restart shipping in the Gulf.

Advertisment

Emirati officials said they were investigating the source of the strike and that the UAE had the full right to respond to such “terrorist attacks”. The UAE has previously accused Iran of attacking its energy targets in what ​it has called an escalation of the conflict in the region.

The drone hit an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah ​Nuclear Power Plant, the Abu Dhabi Media Office said. Radiological safety levels were unaffected and there were no injuries, it ⁠said.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said emergency diesel generators were providing power to the plant’s “unit 3”, and called for “maximum military restraint” near any nuclear power ​plant, adding that it was following the situation closely.

The UAE defence ministry said two other drones had been “successfully” dealt with, and that the drones had been launched from ​the “western border”. It did not elaborate.

During the war that began with U.S. and Israeli strikes against Iran on February 28, Iran has repeatedly targeted the UAE and other Gulf states that host U.S. military bases, hitting sites that include civilian and energy infrastructure.

Iran stepped up such attacks on the UAE earlier this month after U.S. President Donald Trump announced a ​naval mission to try to open the Strait of Hormuz, which Trump suspended after 48 hours.

DIPLOMATIC DEADLOCK

More than five weeks after a tenuous ceasefire in ​the conflict took effect, U.S. and Iranian demands remain far apart despite diplomatic efforts to end the war and reopen the strait, the world’s most important shipping route for ‌oil and ⁠gas.

Washington has called for Tehran to dismantle its nuclear programme and lift its hold on the strait. Iran has demanded compensation for war damage, an end to a U.S. blockade of Iranian ports and a halt to fighting on all fronts, including in Lebanon, where Israel is battling Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Ebrahim Azizi, who heads the Iranian parliament’s national security committee, said on Saturday that Tehran had prepared ⁠a mechanism ​to manage traffic through the strait along a designated route that would be unveiled soon.

Thousands of ​Iranians were killed in the U.S. and Israeli airstrikes. Thousands more have been killed in Lebanon in fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed group Hezbollah.

Israel and Lebanon agreed on Friday to a 45-day ​extension of a ceasefire there, though the truce has failed to end clashes.

Also read:Prince Rahim Aga Khan V to visit GB; authorities finalise security and logistics

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
oldest
newest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments